Monday, July 21, 2014

Please cover your mouth ...

Travel often brings with it an inconvenience or two.  Our recent trip to Europe was no exception.  We had our share of surprises:  landing at Charles De Gaulle airport two hours late due to thunderstorms; exiting the plane via a ramp onto the tarmac only to discover we had to walk fifty yards in a torrential downpour to the bus that would transport us to the terminal; crawling at a snail's pace in a taxi from London's West end to the British Museum when "underground" workers decided to strike; carrying luggage up a three flight spiral staircase when the lift wasn't working; delayed departures (many of them) to the next destinations when people on our bus tour failed to return on time from their personal excursions; receiving the main course five minutes before other members of the dinner party; a nearly sleepless night in the Paris hotel room located just above the jazz club ... a strong beat and loud music ... 'til 2am.

And then there was ... well ...

She was in many ways a good traveling companion during our 15 day bus tour:  friendly, engaging, interested in conversation with others, inquisitive, and on time for departures (very important). 

But she was sick. 

Within minutes of boarding the bus she coughed, a deep cough, a cough that said, "You probably don't want to get too close," or asked the question, "Do you really think I should be on this bus with all of you?" But she was not listening to that voice.  Instead she leaned towards others to whisper comments.  She touched arm rests and seat backs.  She brushed people's forearms and hands when trying to get their attention.  She passed dishes, food trays, and water glasses to others at lunch and dinner.  She coughed without covering her mouth.


Within days others started to sniffle, wheeze and make vain attempts to suppress their own coughs.

And then, day ten, it was my turn.  Cough, cough, cough. My immune system could no longer resist the onslaught of germs.  I found myself often saying to others, "You probably don't want to get too close" as I chose an alternative path.  I avoided contact with fellow travelers as much as possible.  I took medications to reduce drainage and lozenges to reduce my throat's tickle.  I rested whenever possible.  I kept my hands to myself and, hoping not to contaminate fellow travelers, I stopped passing eating utensils.  I covered my mouth.

I knew that my actions and my behaviors would have a significant impact on the health and well-being of every other person on that bus.  And I wanted my impact to be as positive as possible.  If only she had employed some of my "best practices" and, most importantly, covered her mouth!

It seems to me that covering one's mouth is wise counsel in other situations as well.  A hand over the mouth can stifle demeaning comments, hateful speech and slurs.  A hand over the mouth will hide the sarcastic smile.  A hand over the mouth might keep some thoughts where they belong ... on the inside.
 
If you want a more healthy and joyful journey ... please cover your mouth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment