Saturday, March 8, 2014

Always We Begin Again

On Ash Wednesday all worshipers at Holy Trinity received a free copy of the book, “Always We Begin Again,” along with a study guide and an “identity tag” necklace.  The metal tag displayed the words “Walking the Way” and Micah 6:8.

In place of a prepared message I introduced “Always” asking those present to open their books, follow along, and make some notes.  I introduced Benedict, McQuiston, the First Rule, prayer methods and McQuiston’s suggested daily schedule designed to help us balance prayer and work.  We moved so quickly it felt as though an electric fan was gently blowing and turning the pages. I asked everyone (along with me) to take a breath before I concluded, “This is not a ‘have to’ or ‘must do’ kind of book.  Rather, these readings will guide us into “a way of being in the world” where gratitude and loving-kindness are increasingly evident.”

Upon leaving the building at least a dozen people wanted to know how they could get hold of additional copies.  “Thanks for the overview of the work and some suggestions about how to use it.  I have a friend at work who I know could use it too.”  “I want to give a copy to every one of my adult children.”  “I will be leaving in April to return to my home in the mid-west.  I’d like to use it for a study I lead each summer.” 

On Thursday more people called to request copies of the book.  “I showed it to my co-worker today.  She’s been having a really hard time and has been looking for something just like this to help her make it through.”  Another person stopped by the office.  “I spent a lot of time today thinking about the first rule, the part you introduced and asked us to memorize, the part about living this life with an emphasis on loving-kindness.  This book is amazing.  Do you have additional copies?  I want them as gifts for a couple of friends."

If you are already spending time with “Always We Begin Again” I encourage you to stay with it.   Meditate on the words and phrases that call to you.  Use it for the next 40 days and you will begin to see changes in your “way of being in the world."

If you have the book but haven’t yet opened it, now is the time.

If you don’t have "Always" but would like it (or more copies for your friends) you can order copies from various book stores, Cokesbury (at a reduced price on the Internet) and Amazon (new paper, used paper, and e-book).  And, of course, I have a few more copies at the office if you stop by.  The one you get from me is free to you.  

My thanks to Lilly and CTS for furnishing these free copies of "Always" as part of the their Clergy Renewal Grant to Holy Trinity Lutheran. More about Lilly and CTS in the 2013 September Blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment