Friday, September 6, 2013

Excited


This is the first entry in my new blog, “Walking the Way,” and I am ecstatic!  This blog is a significant first step in preparation for my three-month sabbatical beginning in late April 2014.  Here I will share stories about the people I meet and the places I visit.  And I invite you to join me in the journey.

The sabbatical, sometimes called “Clergy Renewal,” is a wonderful gift and grants me time away from the regular duties of congregational life.  Leading worship, visiting the sick, teaching classes and spiritual direction within the congregation and local community will give way to travel, visits with family and old friends, and extended time for reading and study around the words of the prophet Micah, “Do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God.” What joy!

The sabbatical is also a time for “Congregation Renewal.”  During the three months I am absent from the congregation the members and friends of Holy Trinity will experience the good news through new voices:  guest preachers and teachers, and friends gathering in small groups to share their personal experiences of justice, kindness and humility.  New leaders will emerge to share in the work of the congregation and advance our mission, “In the city for good.”  And, in the months following my return we will gather to share the discoveries and the challenges we experienced during our time apart as well as the possibilities for ministry in our new season together.

Over the next months I will be planning the details of the sabbatical and sharing my excitement about them in this blog.  I will also be posting pictures and stories here while traveling next summer.

Thanks to all of the members of Holy Trinity and the Church council for this gift.  


I feel like a five year old on Christmas morning ready to open the beautifully wrapped package with my name on it.

   
Exciting!

4 comments:

  1. I still follow you and pastor Scott. I'm excited to see where God takes you on this new journey. Can't wait to hear news and I'm praying for you.

    Jennifer bermudez

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you, Lee. You deserve it, and I know it will fill you and inspire you in important ways.
    At this very moment, I am sitting in the front room of an apartment at Rainbow Trail Lutheran Camp in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of Colorado. Roger Thompson is snoring away in one bedroom, while Schaumburg is quietly sleeping in the other. We'll celebrate the beginning of your Sabbatical tomorrow by casting a few dry flies into the Arkansas River. Wish you were here!
    With so many fond memories of my good colleagues in Arizona,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, we've traveled life together now for over 30 years, and while I wish I could join you on some of your Sabbatical travels, this blog is the next best thing. The Micah quote describes you as you have always been. Karen and I can never say enough about the affect you and Val have had in our lives. Enjoy, renew, affirm, share, and learn in the ways you always have so the future is even brighter than the past. God bless and speed you safely on your way.

    Tom Grimes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm beaming with excitement for you! I love your anticipation, the theme of your journey, and your willingness to share it with so many others. As you walk the way, I look forward to learning more and refining my own walk in the way of justice, kindness, and humility. When I comment on blog posts, I often share my "favorite line" with the author. For this post, it's your last statement- "I feel like a five year old on Christmas morning ready to open the beautifully wrapped package with my name on it." I offer prayers and peace to you in your preparation for growth and renewal.

    ReplyDelete